March 15, 2015

Artist Blog Hop

Thank you Ashley Sauder Miller for inviting me to participate in this art blog hop!  A fun way for creatives to connect.  I am very drawn to her use of color, organic shapes, and the playfulness that shines through her paintings.  Check out her mixed media work AshleySauderMiller.  And if you'd like to follow her blog.



Q+A:

How does my creative process work?

I know it's time to create when I see a few unscheduled hours in my day.  I cannot wait for these times and find them as frequently as possible!  I create at home or in my studio in SOMA, San Francisco.  Sometimes I start with a very clear concept.  These finished pieces usually present themselves in a structured way.  Other times I start with a group of found objects I feel "go" together or a bunch of paint colors I'd like to see together on piece.  Then I just dive in, 99% of the time listening to music.  This helps me dive into my subconscious a bit faster.  I find myself in a blissful state when I get there.  I go through times of loving any hating pieces.  I work through the tough times and don't stop until I feel satisfied with my work.  Great results often come from pieces I disliked at one point or another.


How does my work differ from others in it's genre?

I feel my "combines" pieces give life to the found objects and piece.  They were meant to live together on the canvas.  I spend lots of time collecting and saving pieces for my work.  I'd love to hear how other artists find their found objects.  They could have the very same process.  I really let my mind run wild.  I feel a lot of artists do this but some seem so structured, creating the same piece on repeat.  I feel my use of colors and layout of objects show me as an artist, or at least I hope so :)


What are you currently working on?

I am currently working on a commission for a lady in Canada for her living room and a piece a groom will give his bride on their wedding day!  I have about five other abstracts and mixed media pieces in the works.


Why do you do what you do?

I need it, art makes me sane.  I can't remember a time in my life I didn't create.  My parents always supported this passion of mine.  When I don't create often, I can feel it in my soul, something's off, my mood changes.  I get the ideas and thoughts out that are crowding my mind.  I create for myself but for others too.  I hope to inspire young artists to create, keep their curiosity, make things daily.  If I can create something someone wants to look at everyday or have  in their home, I am so honored.  I hope to bring life and color to peoples spaces and influence them in ways words might not.

Hope you liked reading my answers,  now passing the hop to two other artists…

Photographer Jackie Hancock


Collage artist Elizabeth Amento




Can't wait to see your posts and read about your work!